- Client: Worldwide operator with various locations
- Industry: Oil and Gas
- Partner: Chalmit
- Project Objective: Transitioning from traditional to sustainable lighting solutions for reduced energy consumption, minimised environmental hazard, and lower maintenance costs.
Our client, a major operator of drilling rigs, needed a specialised lighting solution for their fleet. The goal was to achieve high-level safety illumination for each rig, utilising the latest design and technology. The solution needed to focus on reducing maintenance costs, enhancing sustainability, and significantly decreasing the generation of hazardous waste harmful to the environment.
Traditional lighting systems, such as floodlights and linear fittings, are not only energy-intensive but also require frequent maintenance, leading to substantial hazardous waste. Additionally, the energy to power these traditional lights is generated on-board, using methods known for their negative environmental impact.
This project required an innovative approach to provide effective lighting while balancing operational costs, maximising sustainability, and minimising environmental harm.
Wellhead Electrical Supplies (WES) collaborated with the operator to address this lighting challenge. WES suggested a shift from traditional flood and linear lighting to Chalmit’s LED solutions, known for their efficiency in harsh environments. The initial step involved replacing halogen and sodium floodlights, crucial for broad-area visibility during operations. LED floodlights, requiring minimal maintenance, significantly reduced waste and maintenance costs, particularly as these lights are often situated at height.
Next, the focus turned to linear lighting, commonly seen as fluorescent lights. A medium-sized asset typically houses hundreds of these, both indoors and outdoors, necessitating constant upkeep and producing considerable hazardous waste, including mercury-laden fluorescent tubes.
Chalmit’s LED linear lighting emerged as the clear choice, offering years of low-energy, maintenance-free, and eco-friendly illumination.
Key aspects of the solution included:
- Lighting Assessment: A comprehensive review was conducted to align the lighting design with the latest safety practices. Results showed a 50% reduction in energy usage for lighting, leading to lower carbon emissions. Waste from spare parts and product disposal dropped significantly, with this efficiency expected to last 8-10 years.
- LED Technology Integration: Selecting high-performance LED floodlights from Chalmit’s range, designed for energy efficiency and durability in hazardous conditions.
- Installation and Testing: Implementing the new lighting system with a focus on strategic placement to enhance visibility in critical areas.
The LED flood lighting solution provided by WES had a profound impact:
- Enhanced Visibility: The LED lighting systems significantly improved illumination across the asset , ensuring safe and efficient operations.
- Reduced Operational Costs: The energy-efficient nature of LED technology led to a marked decrease in power consumption and operational maintenance expenses.
- Environmental Impact: The switch to LED lighting reduced the project’s environmental impact, aligning with sustainability goals.
- Operational Reliability: The durability and low maintenance of the LED lighting ensured uninterrupted operations.
This project highlights Wellhead Electrical Supplies’ focus on addressing industry-specific challenges with pragmatic solutions. The implementation of LED lighting emphasises our practical approach to innovation and safety. We strive to balance industry demands with environmental considerations, reflecting our ongoing commitment to responsible practices in the oil and gas sector.